The FIAP Life Card is a credit card sized identification document, which serves as an ID card and, unlike the older ‘Photographer’s Card’, carries a unique ID Number. Although having no status outside FIAP, the card can be very useful to show as a photographic credential.
FIAP’s rules require that you must be the holder of a Life Card before you can apply for a FIAP Distinction. You must also be the holder of a Life Card to attend any FIAP Congress, AGM or FIAP Photo Meeting. You can apply for a Life Card at any time without necessarily holding or being an applicant for a Distinction.
Cost of a Life Card
- The cost of a Life Card is €50 plus postage and PayPal fees.
- Concessionary rate. From 30th June 2021 for two years only, the cost is reduced to €25 plus postage and PayPal fees.
Applying for a new Life Card
- Applications for the Life Card must be made via the FIAP Platform at: www.myfiap.net/user/register/fp
- The charge for the Life Card is payable through the website (see Cost of a Life Card).
The web page has a video explaining the process. In summary, there are two stages. First you create and validate a “Personal Profile”. Second you apply for your Life Card.
- When your “Personal Profile” is created you will be supplied with an “FP Number”. This is a random 7 digit number, which will also be your “username”. This together with your chosen password will enable access to your “Personal Profile” in future.
- When you receive your Life Card it will carry a different number, which will usually start with the numbers 826 (the United Nations Country Code for the UK), followed by a further 5 digits.
- You must retain these numbers somewhere safe, because you will be required to supply both of them with any application for a FIAP Distinction.
Cards issued in 2018 or earlier
- If you are already the holder of a Life Card or the older FIAP Photographers Card and your last FIAP Distinction was gained in 2018 or earlier, the card will have been provided without you having created a “Personal Profile”.
- Before you can apply for a new Distinction you must use the FIAP platform to create your “Personal Profile” and receive your ‘FP Number’. But, do not go on to the second stage to apply for a Life Card. That way you will not be charged again.
Updating a Life Card with a new distinction
- If you wish to update your Life Card after receiving a new distinction, then the process is different. You will need to access your “Personal Profile” on the myfiap platform, using your username and password, to request the updated card.
- When FIAP updates your “Personal Profile” with your new distinction, the platform generates an email to you inviting you to update your Life Card. It is not compulsory to update your Life Card: it is your choice. From 1st January 2021, this service is now free of charge.
- The requests will be collated by your Liaison Officer who, at the appropriate time, will send them to FIAP to be processed in bulk. (For PAGB, this will usually be once a year and shortly after each year’s batch of applications has been completed and certificates sent out).
Replacement for a lost or damaged Life Card, or for a name change
- A replacement Life Card is available via the myfiap platform at www.myfiap.net/user/register/fp
- The charge will be as for a new Life Card (see Cost of a Life Card).